From reading pregnancy websites, mommies are advised to start reading about taking care of newborn babies and how to increase breast milk production during the third trimester. Stop reading about pregnancy articles because there’s an even challenging part ahead of us, and that is nursing our babies. I’m geared towards breastfeeding our baby, not only will it save me from the cost of formula even for just a few months but breastfeeding is gold when it comes to nourishing the baby.
Mommies are advised to prepare for breastfeeding as early as the third trimester, here are some tips to increase breast milk supply:
- Drink lots of water. Lactating women needs 3.1 liters per day (from Mayo Clinic).
- Eat plenty to increase calorie intake. Breastfeeding requires 500 calories a day.
- Breastfeed or pump frequently. The more you breastfeed or pump, the more your body will produce millk.
- Plenty of sleep.
- Avoid stress.
- Take herbal supplements such as malunggay capsules or Fenugreek.
- Include more soups in your diet.