33 weeks. While I was prepping up to go out for our 4D ultrasound earlier, I gasped at the sight of my swollen ankle. That was the first time I noticed it and I got a little worried. I know my diet’s the culprit because it’s not good the past week and I’m not drinking enough water. Now, I have to find a remedy for this before it gets worse.
While edema is common during pregnancy especially during the last trimester, there are ways to prevent and control edema:
- Do not sit or stand for long hours.
- Keep the feet elevated whenever possible. Do not cross legs.
- Sleep on the left side to improve blood circulation.
- Exercise (with doctor’s permission) to improve circulation.
- Minimize salt (sodium) intake.
- Wear comfortable shoes and roomy clothing. For shoes, no high-heels.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Consuming natural diuretics such as cabbage, onions, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. can also help reduce water retention.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins and excess water in the body.
I hope these remedies I’ve found can help. Mommies, when did you start having edema during pregnancy? What did you do?